Dr Ian Tassan QPS surgeon M.B.,C.H.B.(U.T.C), F.C.S (S.A), F.R.A.C.S)
Dr Ian Tassan was born in Port Elizabeth, South Africa in 1955. Following his schooling, he studied Medicine at the University of Cape Town. After obtaining his medical degree M.B., Ch.B. in 1978, he obtained general medical experience during a year of internship and then 2 years working in a rural hospital during compulsory National Service.
Following that work experience he then embarked on becoming a Surgical Specialist training in Cape Town. He then obtained his Fellowship in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in 1988 and returned to Port Elizabeth to commence private practice as a Plastic Surgeon in 1989.
Dr Tassan and his family then decided to emigrate to Australia, to enjoy a better quality of life, because violent crime in South Africa poses a constant threat to one’s safety and security. Dr Tassan arrived in Townsville in July 2000 and joined Dr Mark Vucak in practice of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeries.
His Practice is General Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and includes Skin Cancer Treatment, Hand Surgery, Breast Reconstruction and Cosmetic Surgery.
Dr Tassan is married to a Medical Doctor who teaches at James Cook University, Townsville. He has two children who both attend JCU.
Dr Tassan’s interests include music, art, running, cycling and the outdoors.
Degree and Training
- University of Cape Town – Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery – 1978
- College of Surgeons of South Africa – Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery – 1988
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons – Plastic & Reconstruction 2001
- South African Association of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons
- The Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- The Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons